Gondolas on the Canal's of Venice, Italy

A Guide to Venice

As some of you might know, I recently did a little Euro trip and Venice was the place I was most excited about visiting and it did not disappoint at all.

Canals of Venice, Italy

We stayed in Sunny Terrace Hostel which had lovely private rooms and bathrooms. It was on the island of Giudecca which was much quieter but just as pretty as the main island and was only a quick boat ride away. We really appreciated coming back to this island away from the crazy crowds of the main island.

Canals on Giudecca, Venice, Italy

Canals on Giudecca

From Giudecca you get one of the boat buses to St. Mark’s Square. Start walking to your left and within two minutes you’re going to see a crowd of tourists standing on a little bridge. They are looking out at the Bridge of Sigh’s. The bridge was named so as prisoners would pass through this bridge and this would be their last view over beautiful Venice before being taken to their cells. Attached to the bridge is Doge’s Palace and right around the corner is St. Mark’s Square and Cathedral. So most of the main attractions are all right there within two minutes walk of each other. This is where the majority of the crowds are too.

Gondolas passing the Bridge of Sigh's in Venice, Italy

Bridge of Sigh’s

Doge's Palace, St. Mark's Square, Venice, Italy

Doge’s Palace

St. Mark's Cathedral in Venice, Italy

St. Mark’s Square

So now you’re going to head into the narrow alleyways and find some hidden canals. Venice is very confusing. I would recommend definitely getting some offline maps or even get data so you know you’ll be okay. We had data and still managed to get lost in these streets. But I wasn’t complaining because within minutes we were away from all other tourists and behind every corner was another beautiful canal or tiny alleyway. We went looking for a bookshop called Acqua Altra Liberia. It was a dream for booklovers, books on books on books literally. They have a gondola and a bathtub full of books. There is even a staircase made from books. We would have spent hours there if all the books weren’t in Italian! After this we accidentally stumbled upon Rialto Bridge and watched all the boats pass the Grand Canal.

Gondola full of books in Acqua, Altra Liberia in Venice Italy

Books stacked high in Acqua Altra Liberia, Venice, Italy

We decided to get tattoos while we were here. This is becoming a little tradition when my friend and I travel together. We got it done in Giovanna Zorn GioTattoo. They did an amazing job and we were giddy with happiness with our new tattoos.

We wanted to watch the sunset over Venice but unfortunately we missed it. Campanile Di San Marco is a great place to have a meal and a drink and watch the sunset but you will need a reservation. Skyline Rooftop Bar on Giudecca is a nice place to enjoy a drink and watch it set. Or you could do it for free from Rialto Bridge.

Rialto Bridge over the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy

Rialto Bridge

Honest Opinion. I love Venice. I have seen a lot of hate for it lately among bloggers. Yes it was over crowded, it was over priced and I was exhausted after walking around all day. But I absolutely loved every minute of it. Every time we turned around a new corner I practically squealed with happiness. It was just so unbelievably pretty. I love that every building in Venice is old, and there is just no room for anything new. This is what Venice has looked like for a very long time and this is what it is going to look like until it sinks into the sea.

Selfie in St.Mark's Square, wearing a Venice Hat, Venice, Italy

So I hope you enjoyed reading this. I’d love to hear what you think? Do you want to visit Venice, have you been, did you love it or hate it? If you want to see any of other posts about Italy or Europe be sure to get them out here. You can follow me on Bloglovin’ here. For more travel snaps you can follow me on instagram here. And thanks so much for reading.

A Guide to Venice Italy

55 thoughts on “A Guide to Venice

1. Una Walsh says:

I love Venice! The Basilica San Marco is astonishing! The floor of the church is mind boggling it is like frozen waves, undulating as high as 18 inches. our guide told us there in no level floors in Venice, but that was weird! And the mosiacs, the glitter of gold everywhere! I would love to return and wander for days!

2. undertheimpressionblog says:

Lovely post! Everything about Italy seems so relaxed and serene to me. It seems like the people move slow and you can take a boat ride to clear your mind. Venice is absolutely top of my bucket list and this post really made me want to book my trip NOW!

3. Mia says:

I love how positive you are about your visit to Venice! You really made the best of it and had a great time because of your atittude. Thanks for sharing!

4. Deryn Macey says:

Sounds amazing and like so much fun! Venice has never been high on my must-visit list but I might have to move it up a bit! ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. mytraveltricks says:

Wow looks like an amazing trip!! I went to Venice a month ago and absoultely loved it! The only thing Iโ€™m missing is a picture of your tattoo! What a cool thing you guys do that on your trip. I would love to get one too at a special destination. Great post!

6. Bernadette Jackson says:

I am really loving your tips for getting away from the crowds. Although the sights are the sights for a reason, itโ€™s lovely to see the cityโ€™s underbelly, and to have some space to breathe and explore. Youโ€™ve given me renewed enthusiasm for returning. And the booksโ€ฆah, the booksโ€ฆIโ€™d be seeing you in a few weeks.

7. Maria Angelova says:

Yes, youโ€™re going to get lost in Venice and this is the best thing that could happen to you! I visited it when there was nothing like offline maps and I enjoyed being lost all day until in the evening, I decided to try to find my way to my hostel

8. Jessica Flynn says:

I was in Italy when I was younger, way too young to remember. Definitely on my list to return, itโ€™s not that far from Ireland. I have also never gotten a tattoo while on holiday, I guess I would be to wary of getting one from someone that I donโ€™t knowโ€ฆbut if you have recommendationsโ€ฆ haha

9. Joanna says:

I love Venice in winter but hate in in summer. I believe that tourists are ruining it and that’s why more and more people say it’s overrated. However, I visited both in winter and in summer (a couple of months ago actually) and I defend it. It is indeed a beautiful city. And you are so right, maps are necessary. I had data but the Google Maps didn’t really work on the small streets. I did get a lost many times, lucky the city is not that big. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. amellie says:

I always want to go to Venice, but I just couldnโ€™t imagine bumping to tourists! I didnโ€™t know that thereโ€™s a quieter island over there. I may wanna check it out next time ๐Ÿ™‚

11. dianacechova says:

Venice Is probably the last city every European has been to, but I wasnt! I need to go there ASAP! Thanks for the tips! Much appretiated.